Saturday 24 January 2015

Something new: Buddha Barre

This week I received an email from a local yoga/spin studio I used to attend a few years ago. It said that lululemon was coming to our small town for a day to have a pop up store downtown. As a result lululemon so graciously paid for all Saturday classes at the studio. 
So I texted my friend Heather asking if she wanted to attend a free class. She looked through the listings and chose their "Buddha barre" class. I'd heard of barre classes before but didn't know much of it. 

We arrived early and felt a little out of place. I am used to doing all exercises in my running shoes and when I was told the class was sock or bare feet I was a little out of my comfort zone. Poor sad asics thought they were getting a workout today. Nope. 

Neither of us brought a mat but when we saw all the regulars with theirs we were happy the facility provided some. 

The class started on the mats with some yoga like moves with planks, bridges, and various other core activating exercises. 

We then moved to the barre and I was instantly transported back to my dance classes as a child. Spoiler: childhood athletic memories were never positive. 

We did a range of ballet style full body exercises. Kicks and squats and other activities. They were all challenging and full body exercises as you had to focus on engaging your core and keeping your whole frame strong. Also we were often on our toes leading to a great calf/quad burn. 

By the end I was sweating buckets and smelled kinda bad. Sorry to the ladies beside me. It was a great and challenging workout that was definitely outside my comfort zone. 

Positives:
A great workout
Something new- I love new experiences. 
Free class! 
A nice sat morning with a sweet friend 

Negatives:
I felt out of place. 
I didn't know the fancy ballet terms and often was looking around trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. 
The establishment itself has a bit of a snooty feel. 
Seemed like a fashion show of sorts and here I am in a running tshirt. 
We got silenced for quietly chatting and then split up. (Story of my life)
I kept thinking "what is a runner doing at a barre class"? Improving herself, I guess. 

I am glad I did it, especially the experience with my friend. We had a lovely rest of our morning/afternoon together. The class was from 10:15-11:15 and then we went to the lulu pop up store to check it out as it was open today only.


 We then went for coffee and shared an egg salad sandwich. 

We also decided once a month we'd like to try a new fitness class out of our element. 

January: barre.

 February: Zumba? Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment