Wednesday 1 July 2015

Race Review: Duntroon to Stayner 8k



This is the second year I've run the Duntroon to Stayner 8k. Held every Canada day this race is in its 49th year! A local grassroots race, it isn't advertised or found online (other than local running groups event listings). The race is free, you do not pre-register online rather you just show up the day of starting at 8am and sign up on a clipboard in your corresponding age and gender category. I believe categories include M/F under 12, M/F high school, M/F masters and an open M/F.

The race starts at the old Duntroon elementary school. Duntroon is a small community one community away from the small community I live in. There isn't much there, so it's not a challenge to find the Duntroon school. Across the road the local church opens their doors so that runners may use the facilities pre-race.

I'm sure in the 49 years running it has seen weather of all types (welcome to Canada). I've heard some years have been very hot. In my experience, last year was hot and muggy but then downpoured part way through, zapping my phone. Hello waterproof case! This year it was cloudy and overcast but a nice temperature of about 15-17 degrees with a slight breeze.

The race starts at 8:30 with a singing of O Canada and then 3-2-1 GO! No fancy start banner or chip timing. No bibs, no fuss. The course runs down a major road which isn't closed for the event. You run along the gravel shoulder or on the edge of the road being mindful of the oncoming traffic. Also this year I noticed police presence following along the roads to ensure runner safety. I was able to stay on the paved part for the predominance of the race except when seeing large trucks I'd be sure to get right over for them. The course is also walker friendly, and walkers are encouraged to start around 7:30 so that they can arrive for the finish line festivities.





Mostly everyone wears red/white







The course is mainly down hill but has some uphill portions. They have it marked every km with a water station at about 3.5km. Even though it follows a "major" road (the term is used lightly for a series of small towns) it has some beautiful views of farmers fields on both sides of the road. It follows along the same road for the first 7km then turns left into a residential community and another left at the end of the road bringing you to the Stayner community centre.
the home stretch

As you enter the parking lot you are given a popsicle stick with a number on it. At the same time they write down your corresponding finishing time and you bring your stick back to the table to tell them your name.
I should have "chicked" the guy in front of me so that I could be 33!

They have water for runners and popsicles post race. After everyone has finished they have an award ceremony with trophies for the top male and female in each of the 4 categories. They also had some donated prizes this year which were given out randomly to participants. All participants get a commemorative patch that looks the same year after year except for the date. They said that 106 participants signed up, which is great! I'm sure some still took part that didn't sign up as well, which is just fine.

The only downfall (if you could find one) is that it is a point to point race meaning if you come on your own you best be prepared to run another 8km back to your vehicle or find a new friend to drive you back. Since it's not far from my home and since my parents are my biggest fans, they come along and enjoy driving along the course and stopping at different spots to take photos and videos of me. I am fortunate like that.

My mother says this race is for the "purists". You see lots of the older runners from the area who have been runners for life, those that still believe in the sport to be a pair of shoes and go, not big fancy races and fancy running clothing. I also saw a lot of different local running groups represented, which is nice to see. A different form of community.

The best part about it all is that all of the race is free to participate and free to run as it is all donated by local partners. It certainly makes me proud to be a part of this community.
post race Tim Hortons and a well earned muffin


No comments:

Post a Comment