Monday 8 June 2015

Race Review: Barrie Waterfront Half Marathon

This was my third time taking part in the Barrie Waterfront Run. The race has a 5km, 10km and Half marathon. In 2013 and 2014 I ran the 10km and this year I ran the half. I try to have a spring and fall half and when I can keep them local I do because races can get expensive with hotels and travel. However, in terms of "local" (drivable distance morning of) half marathons, I am somewhat limited living in rural ontario.

I wasn't too excited about the Barrie Half Marathon but after some humming and hawing I signed up for it as my spring half as I couldn't find anything else "local". This would be my 5th half marathon and I am getting to a stage with my running (about 2.5 years in) where the consistent PBs are starting to level out. I knew the course was hilly and therefore decided in my mind it wouldn't be a personal best and I had to come to terms with that, besides, they can't all be BESTS, I reasoned, and that has to be okay. Sometimes we must run for the love of running. I also struggled through this training schedule and found myself often sick this winter or generally fatigued. I often skipped my hill training (also sidelined from that with injuries and shoe troubles) and speed work. The twice weekly cross training was cut to once and sometimes not at all due to a Wednesday night run group I take part in.

BUT, all that said, I was going to give it my all and chase those goals, you know, see what I could do. 

I love the Barrie Waterfront run as a whole. I keep coming back year after year for MANY reasons:
-It's local
-It runs along the waterfront which is just beautiful and I LOVE running by water. It's pretty much my thing.
-It's very well organized
-It supports many local charities
-There are local celebs like the local news anchor Tony Grace and our up until recently MP Patrick Brown, who is now head of the Conservative Party of Ontario and will likely become our Premier.  
-Great medals
-Nice shirts
-Great time of year
-Nice swag
-Nice people
-Well course marshalled

I may have commented to my parents "I love the whole race except the course" to which they laughed, pointing out the the course just might be the most important part. They may be right. 

Friday night, as usual, I headed over to Barrie to pick up my race packet. It's about a 35 min drive from work, which on a Friday after school isn't a bad thing. It's nice to have that quiet time to drive. The packet pick up was hosted at the local Running Free store and ran flawlessly. They have it set up at the back of the store so that once you follow the steps and get your swag bag you end up in the store with a 20% off coupon. Shopping for running stuff? Don't mind if I do. I should mention that all volunteers at the packet pick up were very pleasant! Also the race director Jeff was there and equally as kind and welcoming. I get the feeling he is a very hard working man. 

Race day was beautiful weather! Sunny and warm, about 12 degrees to start up to 17 degrees. There was a slight breeze off the water, but a welcomed breeze as it wasn't over powering but rather just cooling. We arrived at 7:35 which was just enough time to use the washroom and get prepared to go. 

The first km was fairly flat but from there, from km 2-4 it was a gradual uphill climb. Then there was a short but steep downhill (which I shuddered at the thought of being an uphill on the way back). From 5-6 it was a range of up and down, both gradual and sharp. At 6km we turned around and headed back towards the start/finish. Just when I thought I'd have a 2km gradual downhill the course changed and we headed a different way. This way had a more steady downhill which could only mean, yup, a large uphill. At the top of which was a water stop and if anyone thinks I can drink water after chugging up a hill like that they are nuts. The course has ample water stations which is fantastic, about every 3km or so. I stopped for water at most, maybe skipping 2 or 3. 

The course went back past the start finish at about km 12.5, where I got to smile and wave at my parents and the cameras. At this point I was starting to fatigue but proud of myself as my watch confirmed I was maintaining an overall 5:15min/km pacing. I was hoping for a 5:12 which would be a sub 1:50 but with that course I decided a 5:15 would be great too! Up until this point I was able to chug up hills and then fly down them to balance my pacing where I wanted it. The course continues on past the start/finish where a very well trained course marshall split the 10k racers toward to finish line and the half marathoners to continue on the course. At this point the clump of runners thinned out. Our course ran along the water and onto a gravel rail trail. A straight....flat...gravel trail in the direct sunlight. This is where the wheels fell off. Not the hills, no no, but the FLAT. My pacing slipped and the km markers seemed to stretch apart. I watched my pace hit 5:30s...5:40s...and higher. I thought my pacing goals were shot because I still had so far to go, I was only at 13km or so, had to go out to 16km, turn about and run ANOTHER 5km back. I just did my best to chug along, and then at 15.5km the course turned UP onto a short steep hill and a quick jaunt down a road and back. As I travelled back to the start I started to feel a little lighter, realizing that every step was bringing me home. I should also mention my feet were writing braille onto themselves in the form of beautiful blisters. The shoe troubled I'd fought through this training program included shoes being too tight in the toe box leading to pinched nerves and painful toes. So as a result the new shoes had a wider toe box which of course means more movement...and blisters.

About 2km to go I looked at the sad pacing and said to myself, I know you are tired but your legs have more to give, lets go, and I picked up my pace. As I neared the finish line with about 1/2 a km to go I looked down at the overall time reading on my watch and was shocked to see 1:48ish. What?? How could that BE? Seems my watch was SHORT compared to the km markers meaning I was going faster than what my watch said! (That NEVER happens). I was in shock but said let's go body! I could see the start/finish but knew I had to wrap around in order to get to it. My personal best was 1:52:33 and I thought to myself, I can get through that banner in less than 4min, now is where it counts and I booked it (or felt like I did because honestly, everything hurt). I turned into the finish stretch and read a time clock of 1:50:3x and nearly cried crossing the finish line with a 1:50:38...a nearly 2.5min PB! A PB on a hilly, hot course with gravel trails. WOW!! The results also showed I was 3rd in my age category which I am super stoked on as I've never placed in a half marathon so that was exciting. I placed 96/331 overall, 26/169 women and 3/17 Females 25-29. 

I met my mom moments later and she said "PB?" (she knew) and I said "PB BABY!" and we embraced in a sweaty hug. Soon after came along dad with a similar interaction. I walked until I no longer felt nauseous and started to rehydrate. 

Wow. What a day. I should also mention it was my cousin's first half marathon! I was his "coach" as I made him a training schedule and checked in on him. We stuck around to watch him finish and I ran the last little bit with him. Super proud. He texted me today and said "so when's the next race?" for the love of running :)


Also the medals were HUGE! They have magnets on the back and the ribbon is removable. The top of the medal acts as a bottle opener! There were post race massages and Clif bars. I am waiting on the FREE race photos that they provide. 


I am already planning ahead of how I can improve for my fall half marathon and chase that sub 1:50. I want to up my cross training to twice a week and work on upper body strength. My arms seemed useless during this race when I needed them. I also want to get my nutrition in check (and hydration). I know I have it in me, because "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!". 


No comments:

Post a Comment