Thursday 30 April 2015

This week in running

There's a lot going on this week for me in the running realm. So much so that I can't focus exactly what to blog on, so you are going to get a smorgasbord of stuff. Ready?

Olympic Dreams:


When I first started running and bought my first Canadian Running magazine I read about a woman named Krista Duchene who was attempting to appeal to make Olympic standards and was not successful. At this point, as a new runner I couldn't name a single runner. Wow how things have changed. I would now acknowledge Krista as my "running hero", as a woman I deeply respect and look up to for her speed, dedication, hard work, balance and love of the Lord. Krista proves that with hard work and dedication anyone can achieve great things! She is a working mother of 3 who is a real person. She's endured her fair share of trials and tribulations but just recently ran a super fast marathon and just this week the Olympic standards were posted and she's in! Krista is the first female to make the near impossible Olympic marathon standards in 20 years! I feel like I am just as happy as she is. Read more about it here:

Injuries:

All runners ignore pain and hope it goes away. I've been having foot pain and general tightness in my whole left leg resulting in consistent pinpoint pain and when I run this pain is amplified and my toes go numb then hurt. On my last serious run I kept telling myself, you need to call your physiotherapist. I am afraid of 2 things: that I will be told I need to take a rest from running and that it's going to cost a lot as I do not currently have benefits. I finally booked an appointment for next Monday. Pray for good results (aka cheap therapy and quick solutions that allow me to still run :))

I am currently icing it and decided it was a good time to write a blog post as it would keep me sedentary for more than 10 minutes :)

Life as a Race Director:

I knew organizing a race would be a lot of work but I've gained a new respect for race directors as I've worked with some colleagues to plan out and organize a fundraising run for our school. You see, I work at a private Christian school that aims to teach those students that couldn't be taught properly in the public school system. I love that we have the opportunity as a Christian school to be open about faith and teach the kids how much the Lord loves them. We keep our tuition low and do what it takes to give the kids the education they need. What that means is we rely largely on fundraising efforts. So, since I love my job, my kids and running I decided a fundraising run would be a great opportunity to get the community involved in a fun, active way. Plus we live in a super beautiful area with Blue Mountain close by and Georgian Bay. The run follows the trail systems of the Wasaga Beach provincial parks. Wasaga is the world's longest freshwater beach. To say the views are breathtaking is an understatement.

So I've been trying my best and giving my all to make this race the most successful event it can be. It truly has been draining me as I've seen my fair share of high moments (we have received so many awesome donations for our bib raffle, lots of people have signed up and I've truly realized how blessed I am to have some supportive friends and family) and low moments (costly insurance, facilities, lack of help, last minute course changes etc). Last week was incredibly stressful for me and I wasn't myself. I prayed for peace and had a friend pray as well and this week I have felt a peace that could only come from God. This week has just been draining as it has meant long hours spent in preparation, sorting and organizing shirts, signage and race kits.


We are 2 days away from race day and I am very excited for it. I will be thankful when it is over. To learn more about the run visit the race roster page here or the facebook page here. We are still happy to receive donations :)   Stay tuned for a race recap!

StrideBox Ambassador perks:

I received this fun package in the mail today.

I was so pleased to be chosen to represent such a fun company. I've loved receiving my monthly StrideBox. It is a box of an assortment of fun running items like chews, gels, hydration mixes, hard goods and other fun things. I feel like I get to be a product tester without having to do the research or having to go out and find these new products on my own. StrideBox is like the wise running friend that introduces you to products you will love for life. StrideBox has introduced me to SkratchLabs, JTree and Picky Bars, all companies I would have never known about before and swear by now. Thank you StrideBox for the fun new socks. I plan to be able to wear them as I run the charity race I planned this Saturday!


To learn more about StrideBox visit their website here. BONUS: If you want to give them a try sign up today with the code "aal2508" before May 8th to receive $10 off your first box!

25 Signs You're Hooked on Running:

I just came across THIS post today and had a good giggle as I can agree with mostly all of them.

Speaking of hooked on running, last weekend I got my second tattoo. I knew I wanted something running related and decided on the symbol of the Goodlife Marathon. I decided on this because the image is neat as it is a runner and a canadian flag but also because this was my second half marathon (so my first one where I knew what I was doing). It is also similar to symbol of the sister race, our local half marathon, the Collingwood half-marathon. Also, the Goodlife full marathon is on my bucket list for sure. I got it on my quad because these quads were made from running and it will be visible when I run in shorts.

Fun fact: my other tattoo is Ecclesiastes 3:4 on my back in memory of my Papa Jack.

Try Something New: April 

It's on hold for the time being due to illness and because both of us have been exceptionally busy this month it seems. So May will be 2 in one! We will do Heather's pick for April and then my pick for May. I already have it picked- stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to thank you for posting the Stridebox promotional code. I just signed up today and am really looking forward to trying all of the cool products they send. Also, I hope your injury isn't serious and that you get better as quickly and inexpensively as possible :) (deleted my previous comment, as it wasn't showing up under my actual profile)

    ReplyDelete