Tuesday 7 June 2016

Chronicles of a Gym Newbie

Hello, my name is Amelia and I am a gym newbie.

I found running 3 years ago and fell in love. But sometimes just running can be detrimental to the body. So, I "joined" a ladies bootcamp class 2 years ago. It was held in a garage gym with a personal trainer and 3-8 ladies twice a week. I loved it; it taught me my strengths and weaknesses and ways to push through insecurities associated with inability and challenge those weaknesses to improve.

Sadly, that era came to an end when my trainer let us know she would no longer be holding evening classes as family comes first. She did let us know we could still train with her at a local crossfit gym. I hummed, I hawed, I considered, but like goldilocks, crossfit just didn't seem to be right for me. (This is all just assumption based on cost and impressions of what crossfit entails, I'm glad some people really love it!).

So I decided to join my local YMCA. I hadn't been in since I was a child and attended swimming lessons and held birthday parties there. It certainly has changed, I was impressed. After saying I'd sign up I went in one week ago today, Tuesday May 31st in the evening to get a tour, look at class schedules and register myself.

The lady who I spoke to at the desk was super friendly and personable. She (and the others I've come in contact with) are a great first impression of the YMCA. I was very pleased to learn that membership is only 40 dollars and change monthly as I am a "young adult" (under 30) and that you can put your membership "on hold" for up to 6 months without penalty.

Affordable and accommodating!

So I studied the schedule and saw each morning was a different 6am class. Though I'm not a morning person I decided to give it a try Wednesday morning. I set my alarm for 5:30 but ended up waking up at 5 (I'm not sure how). Got myself dressed and drove the 7 minutes in to the gym. It was quiet but peaceful that time of morning. I received a friendly hello from the desk, scanned my pass and carried on to the studio room where the 6:00-6:45am group cycle class was to be held.

At first I got nervous and scared as everyone in the room looked like they knew what they were doing. I peeked at the exercise bike (spin cycle?) and saw the pedals had the shoe clip-ins and I thought "oh no! do I need special shoes for this class?!" I walked to the change room to compose myself as I thought "maybe I should just go exercise on the treadmill or with the weights, I'm not cut out for these classes". But I said to myself, "don't be silly! you can do this" and I put my sweater and keys in a locker.

SIDE NOTE: During this time I somehow misplaced my pass. Luckily this allowed me subject matter to talk with fellow gym goers and make some friends. The lady at the desk was super nice and let me know she'd keep an eye out for it and said if I didn't find it by the next morning she'd replace it for me. Usually it's a 3 dollar charge but she said my first one was on the house. She could tell I was flustered likely. When she asked if I'd be back the next morning it also made me accountable to return. Well done lady at the desk, well done. If I ever win a fitness award I'll be sure to thank the lady at the desk.

I brought myself back into the spin class, sat on the bike and realized the other side of the pedals were for running shoes. Whew. Crisis averted.

The instructor was really kind. He looked around and asked if anyone needed any help adjusting their bike. I was too chicken to say anything so I just watched others and learned how to adjust the resistance with a little toggle on the front of the bike, and how to read the monitor, as well as an appropriate place to put my water bottle (in the holder, not hanging from the handles...).

As we were warming up the instructor looked around and said, "looks like a room of familiar faces here today" which calmed my nerves that I didn't in fact stick out like a sore thumb. He did look familiar to me and as my mother later informed me, was an employee of the local car dealership where all our vehicles have been purchased, as well as a close friend of my uncle's. That's small town for you!

I left the gym feeling happy, uplifted, energized and powerful (kinda sore...in a good way).

The week went as follows:
Tuesday: register in the evening
Wednesday: 6-6:45am group cycle
Thursday: 6:00-7:00am bootcamp
Friday: 6:00-6:25am body pump followed by 6:30-7:15 yoga
Saturday: with a friend ran 3km to the other somewhat local YMCA, 9-10am group power class, ran 3km back to her house.
Sunday: rest
Monday: 5:45-6:45pm core, 7:00-8:00pm yoga with my best friend.
Tuesday: 6-7am group power

Highlights/Lowlights:
After the cycle nervousness I reflected on what I would have done differently and decided if I was giving a gym newbie advice I'd say introduce yourself to the instructor, tell them you are new and ask for suggestions. This especially applies for a class that has equipment involved.  So I did just that on Thursday morning for bootcamp. The instructor helped me decide which equipment I'd need and was able to keep an eye on me during the class.

I did not like Friday morning's yoga. In fact, I don't like yoga. I wish I did, I know it's important as I have zero flexibility and minimal core strength. I didn't like the instructor and being that the class went later than all others I felt stressed about getting home to shower and off to work in time. So not the point.

I love that with a YMCA membership you can attend any YMCA. Though I'm a member at the Collingwood YMCA 7 minutes from my house, I can also use and attend classes at the Wasaga Beach YMCA which is 5 minutes from my work, friends and boyfriend's place, when the opportunity arises.

A day pass is also a very affordable option. I thought it was 10 dollars a day but learned for a "young adult" it's $5.50! My best friend Sam joined me for yoga Monday night and I ended up having a lot more fun than I did Friday morning. We also had a different instructor and I am a big believer that a good teacher can make learning fun no matter what subject. Things are also way more fun with your best friend, naturally.

The YMCA feels familiar; It feels like home. I look around these classes and see some familiar faces as I've grown up in this community. I see people of all ages and fitness abilities. They aren't all young and super buff but they are strong and they are putting a priority on their health and well-being. Though it has only been a week I've already fallen in love with the gym life, especially taking classes and feeling new muscles being challenged. I can't wait to see how this will translate into my running as well!

Stay tuned for more as I continue to grow into a gym rat...or gym unicorn.


No comments:

Post a Comment