Tuesday 17 May 2016

Race Recap: Baden Road Races



This face says it all...I'm done...(yet only half way..)
Part of the Waterloo Running Series, the Baden Road Races take place in the Township of Wilmot and more importantly, just a few minutes away from my soon-to-be-sister-in-law's house. For Christmas I let Rachel know I wanted to run a race together and we agreed on this one. I ran the Rememberrun in 2014 which is also part of the Waterloo Running Series, and was interested in running more as it was well-run (haha) and had many nice added touches.

The Baden road races include a 7 mile, a 5km, a 1km and a kids 200m. The signature event is the 7miler that runs down the road towards tower hill. I shouldn't say runs "down" as it felt all up hill...both ways.

I was impressed right from the beginning. The event starts and ends at the Wilmot Recreation Complex in New Hamburg. The start time isn't until 9:30am. Not only did I get to sleep in, we got to wait in a warm area with lots of indoor washrooms. Bonus!

The finish line is inside, right in the arena. This is great for spectators but also for participants as you can watch and cheer on other finishers and feel cheered on as you finish.This event would be great for spectators due to the indoor aspect. There are many races I've run in unfavourable weather where my poor parents had to stand for extended periods of time getting cold or wet.

Rachel and I ran the 7miler; her mother also decided morning of that she too would run it, so she slipped over around 8 to register and then returned home. Our spectator was Rachel's dad and he did a great job getting photos and being at the start, near the finish and at the finish with the camera.
Just finished! Smiling because it's over!!

The course itself is easily the most challenging I've run. A 7mile equals 11.3km which isn't as long as a half-marathon but shouldn't be dismissed as a short distance as it is just that much longer than a 10km. I didn't intend to run this competitively as I'd just had my goal race, the Goodlife Half Marathon two weeks prior, and a fast 10km at the Sporting Life 10km the weekend prior. This one was to be a fun experience with my sister-to-be. I didn't take it too seriously in preparation with extra rest or any form of energy chews in advance of running. I had my music fairly low and one headphone out so we could chat.

One of my favourite shows to watch is Four Weddings and I despise when the brides judge overall experience on weather as this is a factor that no one can control. However, I will say, my overall experience of this race was greatly impacted by the weather. Rachel said last year was hot and humid which made the race a challenge. Well, this year was the opposite. It was cold, windy and rainy. It was about 9 degrees and dropping, feels like 6. The wind however was strong. In the first km a girl in front of us lost her hat as it blew off her head nearly tripping me as I was watching the spectators. On the out and back course it never seemed to be at our back or beneficial. On the way back it was a brick wall to push into. Add into the brick wall a driving rain that no matter how low I pulled my hat was still smashing into my face and that was what we had to run through.

The course has an up and down hill within the first 2 km, and from there is consistent uphills that slightly level out and rise up again. Just when you think you've reached the "hill" that this race is known for, Rachel notifies me that this sharp right turn onto a gravel hill is actually the hill before "the hill". At the bottom of "the hill" is a timing mat as the fastest hill time winners (male and female) receive a pair of saucony shoes. The actual hill is so straight up that we decided to walk it. I never walk in a race but I had nothing in me from all the other million hills that led up to this hill. At the top you can seemingly see for miles. I was notified this is the highest point in southwest Ontario. I can attest to that! At the top you get to ring a big brass bell then head back down again.
We're coming!

Where's the top? Just look down says Rachel

Seriously? Dying...

Sister pulling ahead to ring the bell!

You'd think this would be the turning point in more way that one as you now get to head downhill but with my muscles and lungs being shot (I was certain I was going to puke) and the hill being so steep and gravel it was a challenge getting back down the hill again. Of course, then the driving rain/wind started and the way back seemed to last forever, especially once we hit the long, gradual uphill with 2.5km to go. I actually felt like I couldn't go on any longer. I told Rachel: "you go ahead if you want, I'm holding you back" but being the good sister she is, she stuck with me. I realized you can't "race" three significant distance races three weeks in a row. The last km didn't feel as brutal as it levelled out and the end was in sight so the speak. It wasn't actually as it finished indoors but I could see the building and that was enough for me.

We crossed the finish line side by side and had identical times of 1:01:11. There was live music at the finish line as well as quite the spread to eat. They had watermelon, bananas, bagels, grapes, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and pizza!! Lots and lots of pizza. Though it was 10:30/10:45ish and I wasn't hungry I figured I should eat knowing this would be my lunch and lately have felt nauseous a few hours after racing, potentially due to not eating. I was excited to get a coffee and the watermelon for sure. The pizza was also delicious.
At the finish line after getting medals. Thankful for hot coffee!

Not long after the results were posted and I saw my time was good enough for a 3rd place finish in my category (F25-29). Also in my category was Rachel who unfortunately got 4th because though our times were identical, alphabetically I come first. Though they don't have finishers medals they do have age category medals and new this year they allowed you to line up to receive your medal, rather than wait for the ceremony.
Sad sister...but check out the spread of food being brought home. She's the real winner!

Overall, the race is a great, challenging course that I wasn't prepared for. The weather certainly added to the challenge and running on tired legs didn't help. I was thankful for the chance to run with my sister and will be looking for a chance to run another run in the Waterloo Running series.

No comments:

Post a Comment