Monday 26 October 2015

Race Review: Run Blue Mountains

Sunday October 18, 2015 was the annual Run Blue Mountains race in Thornbury, Ontario. This race hosts a half marathon, 10km, 5km and kids 1km race as well as a 5km walk. This is the 3rd year I have participated in this race and the second time I have run the 10km course.
Receiving my finishers medal

I have had so much fun at this race in the past and this year was no different. The race has such a small town, tight knit community feel to it. The run is organized by the Thornbury Rotary club and touted as "a run through apple country". The course follows scenic rolling countryside on a combination of paved streets and gravel roads with beautiful views.

The race has been very well planned out and is one of my favourites as it has so many special and unique touches. Let me share them with you.

The race is hosted at the Beaver Valley Community Centre which is a beautiful indoor facility with washrooms and plenty of space to sit and keep warm pre and post race as well as for spectators. From a spectator perspective this is one of my parents favourite races because of this key fact.
Day of packet pick up

Packet pick up was easy and simple as though they have 5 different events, they are all clearly marked and colour coded so it is easy to do pick up day of. The race kit comes with your bib with chip timer, kleenex and some food samples which are useful to throw in my purse for later. This year the "swag" was a running toque which I think is a great idea. My first year it was a beautiful long sleeved shirt and last year I was somewhat disappointed in the short sleeve tech tee that seemed to be so common from every race I've run. I appreciate that they make these little changes each year and are ever improving. I wanted to commit the faux pas by wearing something new the day of but realized the race hat didn't have a pony tail holder. So, I reached in my purse, grabbed my jackknife and made my own ponytail holder. Just call me Macgyver.

This year was unique in that Friday night and early Saturday we were hit with a good 10cm (at least) of fresh snow. I was a little excited as the prospect of running in it. Temperatures were around freezing and not too cold. There also wasn't much wind. I accepted that the snow would make the surfaces a little more difficult to get a firm footing and that a personal best was likely out of the question.

A run through a snowy apple country
The organizers decided to host announcements indoors. They have a local pastor start the event with a prayer and the singing of O Canada. Then we all went outdoors for a fun warm up that you can't help but participate in. This year they decided to have a mass start of all distances, which I thought was another great choice. They lined us up quickly and sent us off. There wasn't too much standing around waiting.

Great energy from the warm up crew
Everyone warming up: even more important this year!
I am familiar with the course having run it last year. Though it's essentially a large rectangle there are quite a few small twists and turns on the course. The race has ample volunteers on course to ensure the safety and direction of participants.
What a difference a day makes! Friday morning volunteers collect apples for participants and spectators

I was even more appreciative of them in this less than favourable weather. There were many points during the race that the large falling snowflakes make it impossible for me to see ahead of myself without constantly blinking. Yet the volunteers stand in place for 3+ hours.
Awesome volunteers on course
They have great signage with colour coordination and arrows to best direct runners. It is quite a pretty course too (albeit hilly), my favourite part being a downhill that crosses a now pedestrian only bridge with beautiful views of the Beaver river.

Snowy gravel roads meant sloshy, slippery downhills 
The weather made it challenging for my personal support team (Mom, Dad, Mark) to see me coming through the driving snow. Though I was wearing notably bright blue pants, I finished the last 200 meters by weaving in and out of 5km walkers. Luckily they were still able to see me finish but were unable to snap any photos.
Girl guides handing out food and water to finishers
All finishers receive a beautiful finishers medal and are greeted with water, bananas, almonds and raisins in the finishers chute. I headed inside to what could only be described as an after party! There was live music, food, beer and prizes.
This husband and wife made beautiful music together
Within the registration fee all racers received a lunch. It was apple baked beans, salad and a bun. I am not a huge fan of chili or of eating right after a race. (Give me an hour and I'm ready to eat the house). My boyfriend Mark is beginning to learn the benefit of attending my races in the way of food. I was glad he was able to eat the meal as it was prepared with love for sure.
Where's Waldo? (me)

I also like this race because they have a podium and they celebrate the top 3 finishers in each age category (10 year increments) of all 3 race distances with a zipper pull style medal that can be attached to the finishers medal. They also reward an apple pie to the first place finisher in each category. Last year I got first in my age category and this year was no different.
Mr. Wentworth-Stanley handing out awards
The race is made that much more special and unique largely in part to one wonderful and charismatic man named Jeremy Wentworth-Stanley. He is an Investment Advisor and his financial donation helps cover race costs so that all money brought in can go directly to the Rotary Club. Mr. Wentworth-Stanley participates each year and greatly enjoys handing out medals and pies to the top 3 finishers in each category. Last year he got word of it being my birthday that day and he had the whole hall sing Happy Birthday to me. This year when I went up to receive my award I said, "Thank you, again" to which he questioned, "again?" and I explained last year's interaction. He asked if it was my birthday and I advised that it was the next day yet he still had everyone sing to me, yet again. He was trying to embarrass me but little does he know, the spotlight and I are good friends.

It's little touches like these, unique people, a friendly atmosphere, great organization and volunteers that make this race a success and one that I intend to participate in for years to come. Great job, Run Blue Mountains. I will see you next year, though I don't think I can call it my birthday run any longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment