Thursday 26 March 2015

Try Something New: March: aerial silks

March was my choice and I chose aerial silks because how cool do they look? And how often do you do something like that. This is what our "try something new" pursuit is all about.

March is nearly up and due to scheduling we had to switch from our Saturday tradition. We chose a Thursday night 7:30-9 class. We got a little lost on our way but arrived just in time to an industrial style, open concept room with gymnastic equipment, a climbing wall at the back and silks of many colours hanging from the ceiling in the front. 

The class only had one other young girl and the two of us. Heather and I received a lot of personal instruction. Our instructor taught us simple moves one by one and allowed us to practice them a few times each. Each time she taught us a newer and harder concept I thought to myself "I can't do that" and was pleasantly surprised every time I was able to complete the move. At the end I did a little routine with the following moves we'd learned. 
Standing in the silks with a knot 
Down to sitting 
Graceful arms lean back. Lots of core. (It was supposed to look graceful) 
Upside down! It was a lot of fun. The more you do it, the more comfortable it became. 

Then we untied the knot and worked with the two separate silks. We wrapped them around our wrist and flipped ourselves upside down. 
I think the smile shows how much fun I had. I really enjoyed it. It felt like playing but using my strength at the same time. We had some good giggles over our lack of grace! Everyone should try it at some point. 

Things you need to know:
You need to wear capris or longer tight pants as well as a slim fit top. You can't wear jewelry in case it gets stuck in the silks. You don't wear shoes or socks: it's a barefoot activity! 

Overall I loved it and am glad I did it. I wish I had my own set of aerial silks to play on. 

I also continue to be so thankful for my dear friend heather who shares the love of being active, meeting new people and trying new things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment